Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to see an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This information will attempt to answer a number of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Need to Eliminate the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to eliminate the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will guarantee that when you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you need to take into account the grade in which your yard currently sits and also the volume of soil you have to install for your new lawn. In a few special cases where you may put in a layer of the latest soil without getting above grade, you might leave the current lawn in place. New lawns will demand a minimum depth of 3 inches of the well draining soil, full of nutrients. Most lawn removals may be completed with the use of sod cutter, employing a bobcat plus an excavator in challenging to access yards can be a hazard and may create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is very important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your brand-new lawn will discover significantly better growth through the years if a quality top soil is installed. Most of the time the greater expensive the soil, the better quality.
The ideal lawn should be made with at the very least 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and the sub grade ought to be self draining. Soils which contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and have a strong odor needs to be avoided as well. In most cases topsoil today is produced from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the contents of the soil and make sure the composting process is finished. A soil analysis using a neutral ph balance needs to be requested from the supplier.
Kind of Sod or Seed. Sod or also referred to as turf is the preferred method of installing a brand new lawn. Sod can be installed throughout the year and turf farms are ready to accept supply year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to utilize will depend on:
1. Using your lawn area. This includes the amount of traffic that the lawn area is exposed to, including pets and children.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at least 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures in your climate.
Generally turf which comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for first time lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure to ask…
How To Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn may be completed with these basic steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls and so the seams usually do not match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little bit more work and spending a little bit more time pulling the joints in the turf rolls together will make sure the grass covers each of the soil. If you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be quite a complicated job if you don’t spend the time to accomplish it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into position with a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together with time. There is no need to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Usually do not enable the turf dry out at any time. When the sod is permitted to dry up, shrinkage may occur on the seams and the turf may die. Installing sod over a hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the brand new lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn could be a very rewarding task and gives instant beautification to any property.